That’s right, the ancestor to its watered down and overly sweet/processed descendant: this recipe uses real marshmallow root!
Note: it also uses gelatin, an animal product (one of my favorite natural sources of collagen, key for gut health and healing gap junctions implicated in leaky gut, by the way!)
*Adapted from Rosale DeForet and Claudia Keel
2 Tbs marshmallow root powder
1 cup water (split into half cups)
3 Tbs gelatin (Grass fed)
¼ tsp salt
1 cup honey (local)
1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup rose hydrosol/water & 2 Tbs hibiscus flowers/powder (will give natural pink tint!)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- crushed nuts, cinnamon, rose petals, coconut, cacao nibs, cocoa powder
- ¼ cup arrowroot (helps prevent from being too sticky and gives powdery coating)
- Measuring cup
- 8×8 inch pan
- parchment paper
- strainer with fine mesh
- mixing bowl
- hand or standing mixer
- candy thermometer
- Infuse marshmallow powder overnight (or at least several hours) in 1 cup of room temperature water (or ½ cup water and ½ cup rose hydrosol & cover with lid to preserve volatile fragrant particles).
- Optional: add hibiscus petals/powder to infusion.
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper in both directions & grease with coconut oil. (Hint: leave flaps on the sides for easy lifting out later).
- If using a coating, add ½ of mix to the bottom of the pan.
- Strain the marshmallow/hibiscus infusion through a fine mesh sieve. Add enough water to equal a full cup.
- Take ½ of the infusion and place in a mixing bowl (or standing mixer) and add the gelatin to it. Set aside.
- While the gelatin is softening, pour the other ½ cup of infusion in a saucepan with honey and salt at a medium-high heat, bringing the mixture to a boil. Place a candy thermometer in the saucepan and continue to boil the mixture until it reaches 400 F (~7-8 min). Immediately turn off and remove from the saucepan from the heat.
- With hand mixer or standing mixer on low. Slowly add the hot marshmallow and honey mixture while continuing to mix combining it with the softened gelatin infusion.
- Add vanilla (and peppermint extracts if using). Turn the mixer to high and whip until it becomes thick marshmallow creme (~10 min).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. If using coatings, sprinkle remainder on the top.
- Let set until firm (~4 hrs). Lift out (using those flaps you left!), cut to desired size and enjoy.
- Will keep in an airtight container for about a week. They also freeze well! (Be sure to dust them with extra powdered sugar/arrowroot/cornstarch before you freeze as they can get sticky coming back to room temp.)